Dental Rouse Hill |
Smiles Plus Dental Rouse Hill is committed in protecting your information and safeguarding your personal information. This Privacy Statement outlines what information we collect of you, how we use this information, how we disclose this information with your consent and the rights you have in relation to that information.
Personal information we may collect, or which may be held by us about you, may include:
- Name, address, telephone and email contact details
- Personal details such as age and gender
- Billing details – Medicare card number, private health fund details, credit card details
- Information about goods and services we provide to you
- Verbal communication between us
- Information about enquiries you have made both electronically and verbally
- Information in relation to your medical and dental history
- Medical referrals, X-rays, reports and information that may assist us in providing our service to you
How do we collect your personal information?
We collect personal information from you in a variety of ways such as when you interact with us electronically or in person; through filling up a patient questionnaire on your first visit, when you access our website; and when we provide our services to you.
If necessary, we may also collect personal information about you from third parties if you have agreed that they can provide us with this information. For example, we may collect information from:
- Your health insurer provider
- Other dentists, dental specialists or other health practitioners (including your General Practitioner)
If the patient is under 18 years old or lacks capacity to provide these details, a legal guardian or another personal legally entitled to act on their behalf will be required to provide us with this personal information.
How do we use your personal information?
We use your information to provide our service to you and to notify you of information that
may be relevant to your dental care. This may include:
- To assess whether we can safely provide you with our dental services;
- To maintain and administer your patient file;
- To invoice you for our fees;
- To process your health insurance claims;
- To contact you for follow up services and check-up reminders;
- To collect unpaid invoices; and
- To send information to you about our dental practice and to improve our services to you
Smiles Plus Dental Rouse Hill may employ other companies or individuals to assist us in providing our services to you. These third parties may have access to information needed to perform their function but cannot use that information for other purposes.
How do we protect and store your information?
Our staff will receive ongoing training to ensure the personal information we hold about you is kept confidential.
We keep hard copy and electronic records of all patients’ personal information. We take steps to protect these records against loss, misuse, unauthorised access, modification or disclosure. We ensure that hard copies of records are kept in locked files and there are security processes in place regarding computer access. We take steps to ensure that electronic data is backed up. We, or our contracted data storage providers, may use servers, systems and cloud computing providers outside Australia. We use our best endeavours to ensure that our storage providers are required to comply with Australian Privacy laws. After a period of 7 years (or in the case of a person under 18, until the person turns 25) we may securely destroy or de-identify yourrecords in accordance with Australian laws.
When will we disclose your personal information?
We will disclose your personal information to third parties if you have agreed that we can do
so. For example, we will disclose your personal information:
- If you ask us in writing or provide us with your written consent to disclose your information to a third party;
- In an emergency situation, if you have nominated relatives or next of kin as emergency contacts;
- To other dentists, dental specialists and healthcare providers, for the purpose of seeking a second opinion or a referral; and
- To laboratories and dental specialists (within Australia or overseas) to provide advisory services relating to your treatment.
We may also disclose specific personal information (your name, address, contact details and amount owing to us) to debt collection providers engaged by us if you do not pay our invoices within the required time.
Under the Privacy Act, we must disclose your personal information in exceptional circumstances such as
- When required by law
- When we are directed to do so by a government or regulatory body (including Medicare) or a statutory body (eg a court or a tribunal) with legal powers to obtain your information
- When it is necessary to protect the rights or property of Smiles Plus Dental Rouse Hill, or any member of the public, or to lessen a serious threat to a person's health or safety
Changing or deleting your personal information
For us to provide you with the best service, it is important that we maintain up-to-date and accurate information about you. You may request to change or delete your personal information at any time, and all reasonable steps to delete the information will be made, except where it is required for legal reason
Third party sites
Our website has links to other websites not owned or controlled by us. We are not responsible for these sites or the consequences of you going on to those sites.
How to contact us regarding privacy matters
Alternatively, you can write to us at:
Suite 1/ 16 Adelphi St Rouse Hill NSW 215